Monday, February 26, 2007

Eulogy for Gina Ribera

d. 21st January 2007

Gina Ribera was born Georgina Carolyn Stewart, later Fort, a first child for her father and me, and a delightful and welcome addition to the Stewart and Brice families.

She grew up to be an energetic and determined young woman, who had both brains and beauty. Gina liked to work hard and play hard. She was loved, loving and entirely lovable; occasionally exasperating; but a totally satisfying daughter, and a warmly affectionate big sister to Andria.

We took great pride in our Gina-bird, and in her talent for living life to the full. She had a special gift for making and keeping good friends.

Gina found strength somehow in the week before she died to talk to each of us at length. This was a final gift of love for Andria and me.

Gina told us how much she appreciated those friends, that she loved us, and how lucky she had been to find two good men to love her. She told us how much she loved her husband Tony; how beautiful and special he made her feel; and what good care he was taking of her.

Andria and I will always be sad we were not able to be there to say goodbye to Gina in body as well as in spirit. We are proud of the courage and fortitude with which she faced her last illness, and so thankful that our girl was not alone at the end.

Gina had made a success of two careers – in catering and computers. She was looking forward to another change of direction – a new home in France, and a new career teaching English. The cats had their passports, and she was raring to go.

It was not to be. Instead Gina has gone where we can not immediately follow. All we can do now is be grateful for the time we had with Gina, for the memories she leaves behind, and for that part of her that remains in her bloodline and in our hearts.

Andria and I like to think she went rocketing up to Heaven in her usual impetuous fashion, riding Comet McNaught that was in the skies over New Zealand as Gina lay dying. And as St Peter and all his angels stepped forward to welcome her with ambrosia and nectar, Gina would have made it very clear that it couldn’t be Heaven without pink champagne.

So, “Bon voyage, Gina, and thank you for being you.”
I’d like to finish with a favourite poem of Gina’s by Christina Rossetti that also invites you to remember my daughter Gina Ribera, and all that she meant to us.

Remember

Remember me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor I half-turn to go, yet turning stay.
Remember me when no more day by day
You tell me of our future that you planned:
Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.
Yet if you should forget me for a while
And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
For if the darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
Better by far you should forget and smile
Than that you should remember and be sad.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home